Cajun Kale Soup with Andouille Sausage Recipe
- 6 lightly packed cups chopped green curly kale, stem and ribs removed
- 2 Tbsp. canola or olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large celery rib, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 8 ounces andouille sausage (2 to 3 links), thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. dried thyme
- ¼ tsp. allspice
- 1 (15-ounce) can chopped or diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp. agave nectar or honey (optional)
- 4 cups slightly undercooked brown rice
Active time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Bring 10 cups of water to a boil in large Dutch oven or heavy pot. Add kale and boil 5 minutes. Drain in colander and set aside.
In the large pot, warm oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery and cook until onion is translucent, 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, peppers, and sausage, and cook until peppers soften, 5 minutes. Mix in thyme and allspice, stir, and cook 1 minute.
Add tomatoes, broth, cooked kale, and black pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, until greens are almost tender, 20 minutes. Add salt to taste, and agave or honey, if desired. (If freezing, stop here and add rice after defrosting.)
If serving immediately, add rice and continue to simmer soup, uncovered, until kale is tender and rice is fully cooked, 10 to 15 minutes.
Freeze for up to 8 weeks.